Friday, June 10, 2005

Accidents

Hehehe so I m writing about motor vehicle accidents but what I really mean is the small bumps and bangs we motorists get ourselves into from time to time.
I' ve been on both sides, ie I've been the victim and the perpetrator!
So today I was the victim! I parked in a parking space by the roadside and this afternoon, a lorry banged into the side of my parked car ! I was just in time to witness the accident and ran after the driver.Two motorcyclists also gave chase but actually the driver was stopping anyway because he was in town to deliver some goods to a shop near my Clinic.
I said, " You banged into my car". And he replied oh really , I did not notice, and so I took him to my car and indeed the yellow paint of his lorry was on the side of my car along with a dent in the right back door!He apologized and said he had no money to pay for the repair, and I was not about to let him off that easily. I grabbed his arm, oh dear, me , old lady me being tough ..but he was a nice fellow really so he just followed along..and we went into the clinic..it was hot out in the sun even at 4.30 pm! I finally got his employer's phone number from him and soon after his employer came . I saw him look at my car with another man, and then he asked the man in the coffee shop nearby what happened and I saw the man pointing and gesticulating to relate to him what had happened. Then , he crossed the road and came in the clinic.

I saw him in my room. What a nice man! He said he was so sorry and so embarassed at the incident and then introduced his friend who was a car job man. He told me of all the shops he owned, hmm yes I can imagine he is quite loaded, he drove a Prado by the way. So it was agreed that he would have my car repaired, the car job man would come and take the car tomorrow morning have it done and sent back and the taukeh would pay for it.

Wow! all settled and I did not have to rave and rant even, not that I was going to anyway.

I could see myself observing myself even when I was trying to be intimidating towards the lorry driver to tell him he had to be held accountable for the accident.

At this time I was thinking of the times when I was the perpetrator. The last time my husband was reversing and along came this car , straight into my bumper, the man was mad over it...but my husband just said , come see me at my office, I am Director of the >>>>. He did not turn up, I wonder if he thought my husband was unwilling to pay? Well it was his fault really because he came out of nowhere straight into the tail end of my car!

Then there was the time when I brushed against the side of a parked car while getting out of the parking bay. I told the owner I would pay but he never showed up to claim the bill for repairing the damage..

And what about the time I reversed into a car and drove off because I did not know what else to do! So ok luckily my husband who was around settled that one..

And then there was that pakcik whose bumper I banged into at a junction because the sun was in my eye. I was very nice to him, took him to the clinic to get my money and paid him more than he asked for. I think I was trying to compensate for another time when I refused to pay what the fellow wanted and insisted on paying less...

We live and we learn. Even when I was acting fierce just now I was actually willing to write it off.
I learned something about manner and honor from the taukey , now that is the way to do it really, gracious and kind and pleasant..

No comments: