Tuesday, November 22, 2005

My grey mood and literalism






Note the grey suit I was wearing during the training in Perlis.






Segovius on his blog Anulios is in the midst of writing a book. This is to me a very exciting prospect since I feel I ought to write a book or have one written by now but have not gotten around to it , satisfying myself with blog entries. Which begs the question: Why do such talented writers like Dr Roza and Bergen have no desire to write a book while a person like me, who is so serius and no fun at all (almost) want so much to write a book , when I know it would be difficult to engage the casual reader to read a book that I write?
I just have to admit that I am a serious person. The only times I have fun are when I forget to carry the world upon my shoulders . That somehow usually happens when I am dipped into super cold water , like at the waterfall at Sagil and splashed at ! My children have even video cammed me screaming like a kid while dipped in the supercold stream at Sagil!
In the past few days however , my usual seriousness has become even worse because I seem to have taken to wearing only the blue greys in my wardrobe!
So back to this super serious topic of literalism that Segovius has brought up.
Segovius wrote that there are two types of perceiver, the literal and the metaphoric. I think there are more than two types but perhaps we can say there are two main types.
Literalism cause a rigidity in thinking. I think I would say literalists do not understand the shades of grey and see things as either black or white! Something like what George W B had said, a quote that has become pretty famous
"Either you are for us , or against us "
I find what Segovius has to say about The Theory of the Right Man interesting. This theory by a science fiction writer A E Van Gogt

Segovius wrote on his blog:
This theory was first outlined in Van Vogt’s Report on the Violent Male and envisages a type of man who can never accept that they are wrong. They believe that something is true simply because they believe it - the fact that they believe it and they can never conceive of themselves as being wrong is proof of it’s total validity. Hence no supporting or contradicting evidence is necessary and reason flys out of the window, facts are ignored and evidence sometimes suppressed if the sufferer of this condition is in a position to do so.
So there you have it...a possible reason why 'men are always right.' Please note the quote unquote. You would be alarmed to know that it leads to a reason for violence in men..to read further on this you can visit Anulios.

Next comes the main part of what Sergovius will be writing in his book and here is another quote from his blog:
To return to the considerations of these two types in the Islamic context which is what the book is primarily about: the book essentially charts the development of Islam in the non-rigid sense and documents the emergence of the ‘Rightist’ (to coin a phrase) elements within the tradition and the effect of equivalent elements acting on it from elsewhere.
So there you have it. Lately I have been feeling so threatened by the emergence of a degree of intolerence and rigidity in thinking among our fellow Muslims that I started to feel quite insecure. I think that an outspoken person like me can likely be thrown into the jsil just for speaking my thoughts . It could become like what is happening here:
See this example of justice:
Saudi Teacher Sentenced to 750 Lashes
I got this from Mushtaq's blog entry
I keep wondering why governments want to control thinking and ideas and whether they realise that with the internet , they just cannot keep the frogs under the coconut shell anymore , to borrow a Malay proverb. You may be wondering what I am ranting about but take a look at the kind of books that are being banned in Malaysia:


It is as if we are unable to think for ourselves and need our thinking controlled and tailored to fit in with some perceived right pattern. Right according to whom? According to the never wrong men ?

Hmmm..... So this is what the grey clothes are all about ..my mild spiritual outlook is becoming political and I now rave and rant?
Now that I have gotten that off my chest , I 'll go back to posting pictures of my garden and aquarium and talking about food. I am so sorry to plant all these revolutionary ideas into your heads my dears.Let us go back to our usual mode then. What is for dinner?

11 comments:

dith said...

*drroza squirms in severe blush* First time soemone regards me a talented writer. Not sure if I fit the bill. Thanks for the kind words.

I am sure you'll get to finish your book and have people reading it considering your style of literalism .

But knowing me, I have to reread it to understand it's deep meaning!!hehhe

Don't worry Nurelhuda, you have your natural flair. Just stick to it!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, you fit the bill alright drroza. Nurelhuda was being very candid there, and I would fully agree with her. And you're not too bad either Nurelhuda. Of course your style of writing is more academic...something that one cannot just read all by oneself, but to have to follow that with a discussion with other readers including the author, to check whether one's understanding is correct or not.
My style of writing ni, yang agak juvenile sikit. Ni yang buat susah sikit nak post entries. Dah lah topik yang boleh ditulis agak terhad, sebab nak remain anonymous (to some bloggers)
Anyway, I enjoy reading this entry of yours. I always thought that you tend to shy away from political issues. Honestly, I dont think we can. We need to, from time to time just call a spade a spade.
Looking forward to you addressing more political and social issues head-on !!!
Still in your grey mood and donning your grey suit today? Dont worry, that will blend well with the weather.

Suriya said...

Dr Roza, you could have a bestseller if you started on your book. It could be semiautobiography.
Pycno: You are an honest fellow and because of that you do not know how to write tall tales . It is not difficult to remain anonymous if you know how to goreng!

Elman said...

you know how to goreng? -_-
must have learned it from the kids...

Suriya said...

Man
I learned how to recognise when I kena kencing from the kids

HCI said...

he he he nurelhuda, dari dr roza'blog, i lompat ke alam you di sini, just because of the solar heater. heee, nak style sangat, sekarang musim sejuk kena masak air panas dan tuang dalam baldi.

now cut & paste roza's: "But knowing me, I have to reread it to understand it's deep meaning!!hehhe", i rasa i pun macam tu, he he he,,,,rebeh baru ambo baco blog hang!

tu gambar in grey suit dok beri syarahan apa? nanti i banyak masa i try to get to know you from what had been written, mungkin i boleh jemput you pula ke sini untuk bagi talk.

fasal tulis buku, i dah submit buku ke pts publication, ingat dia orang tu jenis speed print, tapi dah berbulan buku i tak keluar juga, he he he so finally i assumed that what i've submitted must be so trashy that even pts tak nak publish, ya Allah sedih nya dan sakitnya hati bila dok kenangkan masa yang dibuag menulis trash tu, baik ler tulis paper, dapat juga beratkan point utk c.v.

keh keh keh.

jangan ikut balik ke blog saya pula, biar saya lawak awak saja.

Suriya said...

Saya dah gi dah blog Has sebelum nih...belum tinggalkan komen jer:-)
Tak masak air ler, boleh lagi mandi ...Hmm so far PTS quite ok ngna publication, maybe you hav to follow up on it!
I was not giving a lecture , was giving a training entitled berjiwa besar..tu pokok dia orang buat tuh ...my training is life coaching, using games, journalling and activities like dance...as well as zikr and meditation , some of it guided meditation

HCI said...

wow, cepat you balas my comment. Doktor apa you ni banyak masa pula? jangan2 doktor pencen, he he he, sorry i bergurau saja, you jangan marah, at least lepas tension i sikit kat sini.

frankly speaking, dok belek2 your blog ni, i lagi tension, macam mana ni. tapi i jumpa kucing you yang cute mute tu, macam tobby i yang dah mati, cuma tobby i besar, 14 kg, macam anjing, perangai pun luar biasa, malam2 dia mari picit kaki dan peha i, kalau tegor dia marah,,,lor i grieved worst than the time my abah or my brother passed away. mungkin a lot of guilt, sebab masa dia hidup i kerap meyumpah bila hubby tak bersih najis dia, he was full of characters...lepas tu dah serik tak nak cari kucing macam tu lagi, bela kucing kampung lagi senang. may be tuhan nak remind, the one that hati dok terlintas sumpahan macam tu is the one that you really love and will miss like hell in absence.

o.k nurel, nak prepare for the weekend ni. jumpa lagi.

Suriya said...

Just click on my main website and then click on Klinik Taqwa. That is my klinik.
I have streamyx and also klinik is paperless so I can reply when I see comment added..if there are not too many patients , like today

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum..
You're interested in writing a book? I promise to buy it if you ever get down to it! =P I agree that many of the bloggers I know online are very talented to the point that I believe that they can produce a good book. I'm out of the league, though.

Anonymous said...

I guess that's where the importance of politics come in: to change the policies. The way I see it now, it's the government's policy to make us the proverbial frogs, as long as they could. Even if it means doing away with the internet, they would.. like they did with Malaysiakini.