Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The illness behind anxiety 1

If you have not read this post , then read it first since this is a continuation of the previous writing.

I had already mentioned about lack of syukur and will get back to it later.For now I want to talk about letting go. The truth is that it is easier said than done and the fact that I understand it does not make it any easier for me. It does however lessen my anxiety when I am able to remember and do it. Surah 65 the 2nd and 3rd verse reads like this:

Whoso believeth in Allah and the Last Day is exhorted to act thus. And whosoever keepeth his duty to Allah, Allah will appoint a way out for him, (QS. 65:2)
And will provide for him from (a quarter) whence he hath no expectation. And whosoever putteth his trust in Allah, He will suffice him. Lo! Allah bringeth His command to pass. Allah hath set a measure for all things. (QS. 65:3)

In this verse the whole concept of letting go is there. What is there to do when everything is God's to command and God sets the measure? All one has to do is to tawakkal which here has been translated as keep duty to God but which I see as surrendering to God and letting God be in charge. I have no doubt we worry anyway but when we remember we are not in charge then the burden we think is on us is not the burden on us. In another verse God says:

Nay, but verily man is rebellious (QS. 96:6)
That he thinketh himself independent! (QS. 96:7)
It is this thinking , that we are independent and are in charge that creates a lot of anxiety for in truth we are never in full control , our powers are puny and limited and there is sometimes very little we can do to stop things from happening. So letting go and letting God is one of the remedies for anxiety and not letting go and not letting God opens the door to a lot of anxiety.

Addendum: In the morning when I am not so sleepy:
There was a story about a mountain climber who fell from a cliff but was hanging by the cliffside by his rope. He made a prayer to God, save me please ! He heard a voice in his heart that said to him I will save you, just let go of the rope and let yourself fall. He did not trust the voice and refused to follow.
A few days later there was a news in the papers about a man who was found dead hanging by his rope by the side of the cliff but there was a ledge only 2 feet down from where he was only the ledge was hidden from view from the climber by a tree.

Had this man let go, he would not have died.

3 comments:

Mama Pongkey said...

Subhanallah!
I was very recently (and still am!) thinking a lot about tawakkal and realising that we do not do anything as such, but it is Allah that is the Doer.
I look forward to your future writings on the subject, as well as syukur.
I pray that He makes all of us among those who are thankful and place full trust in Him, ameen.

Anonymous said...

You sure must be very sleepy Nurelhuda from the number of typo errors in this short entry. ;))
I agree with you on this one, but I will save my comments for later.
Looking forward to a continuation on this.

Suriya said...

ok I correct it, only 3 lah!