Monday, February 20, 2006

Personal Coaching

Yesterday I had my first personal coaching session with Dr.Micheal Heah of Corporate Coach as part of my certfication course on my way to becoming a certified coach. I ha d been looking forward to it. I was thinking that to have someone listen to me talk about my life and my plans for 3 whole hours was an experience that was healing , affirming and motivating. I was not wrong indeed.
What is coaching you may ask. I do a lot of coaching in my work as a holistic doctor because I am interested in the wellbeing of the mind body and soul of the person I am treating. I have the thought that this person here in front of me should take responsibility over their lives and their health and I am here to help them do it . So I am a coach doctor already. THis is why I have decided to get certified in what I already do.
Here is a definition from Mike's website:
  • Builds The Person in Total;

  • Strengthens The Heart, Mind & Body;

  • Focuses People To Their Agenda;

  • Empowers People To Move Forward;

  • Drives Them To Achieve Much MORE;

  • Makes Them Accountable & Committed To Their Goals;

  • Creates Abundance Of Joy & Fulfillment.

It is my experience that I listen to people with all of their concerns and I hardly get listened to if ever so this experience was a great one for me.Not being listened to is not quite acurate actually . I do have some wonderful friends like Alastair and my guide who do listen to my ramblings and put up with it , even giving suggestions some times!


Yesterday I and Mike defined some goals and I now have some homework to do.
The first one is to get familiar with all the requirements of my certificate course
The next one is to define what I do in a 20 second statement ..there is a story behind this. I had a dream once in which I had namecards which were blank. I knew the reason behind this. I actually did not know what I actually am. I still do not know but in terms of my profession, I do have to define it so people know what it is . We settled on holistic doctor and life coach but perhaps I could refine it some more.
The other homework I have is quite revealing about the block that I have. I have to meditate on how to view and thus interract with my colleagues and compatriots without writing them off as people I do not jive with because of the very different vibes I think I have. It may be true I do have different vibes but what is more true is that I can adjust my vibes. So I found out that I am judgemental on certain levels and that is telling.
The last assignment is to meditate on how to get off my high horse Mike says it is a kind of pride. He heard me use words like " I feel it is below my dignity to sell myself". He looked at me then with such a quiet humbleness , this high flyer of the corporate world, my personal coach and said " I sell myself all the time."
Nowadays I find that realisations that pierce the veils and break the blocks within come to me like a flash of light and this was one flash and I told myself get off your high horse right now!


As is usual with me when I get these insights that show me the way , I get excited enough to think that I would wake to a different world . And , I would usually get a bit disappointed to find my workspace still an unorganised mess and all the things I set out to do still undone but somehow things were a little different , and when my first patient walked in this morning, I saw how I now view myself as concerned over his mind body and soul and I found my coaching and investigative power questions a little sharper , my healing touches a little more healing and the joy I get from being of service a wee bit more exhilarating..oh yes..it gives me a high...
You see, the one who feels dull and uninspired while working really needs help!


I am now a coach trainee and although I certainly can already coach , it would be a great thing to get certified.



1 comment:

Bergen said...

You are a deep person, doc.