Monday, September 24, 2007

Kok Soon


This is Kok Soon. He was my daughter Hana's classmate. He is now a fourth year medical student at Malayan U.

I have known him since he was a small child. He used to come to the clinic when he was ill to get treatment from me.

It was on one of these visits that I asked him what he would like to do after his SPM . I cannot remember his answer but I think he said he wanted to take a degree in science. It was then that I asked him , why don 't you take up medicine. The idea seemed too far fetched for him at that time .

I then said that all he needed was to go to the Matriculation College and work really hard to score the maximum of four flat and he would definitely get a place to do medicene.
Sometimes when we plant the seed of possibility , we never know the tree that will grow from it, the flowers thatwill bloom from it and the ripe succulent fruits that will be offered to others from the sturdy tree out of the seed of possibility.

He did go to Matrics and he did score four flat and he did get a place to do medicine
For the past few days he has been doing an attachment at my clinic.

It has been my pleasure to have him tag along seeing cases with me.

When I had visitors from overseas and brought them sightseeing around town , I realise I will start seeing my town through their eyes and begin to appreciate things that I had taken for granted.

When I had Kok Soon seeing cases with me , I began to appreciate the skills I had collected over the years of seeing cases. All the things I did that I had taken for granted took on a new perspective as I saw them through his fresh enthusiastic young eyes.

The shy awkward youth I knew when he was in secondary school had grown even taller , no longer awkward but gracefully charming .His shyness had transformed into a quiet confidence.

I will always remember how he used to come after Chinese New Year bringing me Mandarin oranges in his duffel bag which he took out one by one to place on my table saying to me
'"This is for you Dr."

May God bless and guide you to be the best doctor possible Kok Soon , you do me proud.

My children, it does not mean I love you or appreciate you any less . I know each of you is special and unique and all of you are sturdy trees that others can take the lovely fruits from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hihi DR,kok soon here,read ur blog...hehe,kinda stunned me when u put the title with my name...but although it just a few days,i also learn a lot form DR.Yup,i still remember when i was a toddler and i was very much sick and needed help,ur treatment helped me regain my health(many many times).Plus i do remember the conversation we had last time,haha,i'm also suprised tht UM would accept humble little me...A lot of great and wonderful people including my family,friends and teacher influenced my life,and DR u are one of the important people who made me a better person today and in the future.U taught me what it takes to be a great DR who treats people in every aspect and stressed the importance of harworking and be kind and sensitive.Words cannot describe how thankful i am to have a teacher like you...May DR panjang umur and most importantly always be happy and optimistic like you do...i will try my best to be a good Dr like yourself.Thanks DR ^_^ for everything.

P/s: i hope the pamelo and mooncakes are ok,i will buy DR better ones next time...huhu.Take care