Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Gratitude

This is a continuation of my post on anxiety. Gratitude or syukur is a cure for anxiety.People who are anxious tend to focus on the negative and on what they are having problems with but seldom see what they already have and what they are not suffering from.
Now imagine being upset over the soaring price of vegetable and the lack of hot water from my solar heater because of the last few days being extra cloudy rainy and cold when the people in Pakistan who had just suffered an earthquake are going through a freezing winter! When you focus on what you have , praise the Lord! You stop feeling anxious and stop grousing and stop thinking , poor me...

When I am intent on writing something about something I think people collaborate with me to help me out so here is a little help from Phillip Humbert's newletter:

The Extraordinary Power of Gratitude

Over the years, one of the great mysteries I've observed is the relationship between gratitude and power.

Far too often, we link gratitude with a sense of relief or weakness and I think that's a mistake. In my opinion, gratitude is one of the great sources of energy, creativity and power known to man, and unlike other energy forms, it's free and available whenever we choose to access it.

Whenever I work with top performers, one of the things I notice is their sense of appreciation, humility, and gratitude. Now, obviously, we have all seen people who are rich or powerful and do not appear to be grateful.

I remember seeing a famous actor in a Palm Springs country club being rude to an employee. For all his fame and good looks, something seemed "off" about that brief interaction and it didn't surprise me when, a few months later, his career collapsed in an arrest, divorce and substance abuse problems. As a wise man once said, "Pride goeth before a fall."

On the other hand, one of the marks of true success is a sense of perspective. Truly successful people often remember their humble beginnings, or appreciate that for all their wealth or power, they depend on the skills of other people to run their operations. They are able to appreciate the "little things" and understand that life is short and full of unexpected twists and turns.

One of the things that has surprised me about Donald Trump's show, "The Apprentice" is the consistently nice things the contestants have had to say about Mr Trump. While he often seems angry or arrogant on television, the interviews I've seen suggest that is not the whole picture. In person, I understand he treats people well, has a good sense of humor and is very generous.

Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, Tom Hanks and President Jimmy Carter come to mind as examples of famous people who appear, at least when I've seen them interviewed, to be "ordinary people." They understand the power of gratitude.

Here's the thing. There are basically three ways to face life, and our "stance" makes all the difference.

We can face life with arrogance, believing that we are the center of the universe. Usually, life teaches us otherwise.

Or, we can face life with a sense of fear and powerlessness. Obviously, this stance inhibits action and gets little or nothing done.

Finally, we can come at life from a stance of gratitude and wonder. Curiosity may have "killed the cat" but it also invented the light bulb, airplanes and tennis balls. Curiosity and creativity, it seems to me, come from a fundamental stance of joy, gratitude, thanksgiving and excitement about life.

Arrogance and fear stifle creativity. If we "know it all" there's nothing to learn and we never grow. If we live in fear, life is about hunkering down and protecting ourselves, and we never adventure out. Only gratitude can stimulate growth, curiosity and joy.

This week, Americans celebrate our Thanksgiving holiday, and it is not only a favorite holiday, but one of tremendous significance. It reminds us that we are a fortunate, blessed, and extremely POWERFUL people not because of our army or navy, but because of our gratitude. Thanksgiving, joy, power, adventure, even love itself are the source of true success in life. Thanksgiving lets us take chances. It energizes and liberates us.

This week, practice the "attitude of gratitude" and see what you can unleash.

7 comments:

dith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dith said...

That's why Islam stressed upon its ummah to be always in state of 'syukr', thanking Allah swt constantly, not only in the form of dzikr but also in our acts. As what the above person has written, gratitude will erase arrogance and make someone humble.

Thanking Allah swt constantly for letting us live another day, the air that we breathe, food, love, health....ALHAMDULILLAH!

Mama Pongkey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mama Pongkey said...

Alhamdulillah. Thank you for an inspiring post. It certainly struck a chord in me today!

Indeed today I just dealt with someone who was being very insulting, but in the end tried to ask for my help with her work! :) there is no gratitude even before asking for help!

I was very annoyed for a long while afterwards till I realised... hang on... why should other people's bad manners bother me? It did not diminish me in any way at all, and besides, should I not be thankful that Allah gave me some knowledge that enables me to help others? (Never mind whether they deserve it or not, hehehe... ). My annoyance began to ebb away as I started counting my blessings...

It was a good learning curve for me as well..

I feel I can never thank Allah enough.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kenakelayan, you, angelic you...can you really bring yourself to help someone who has just insulted you?
I may find it a little difficult to turn down a request for help (especially if it doesnt take that much for me to help him/her), BUT 'keikhlasan dalam menolong'????.......susah....susah....

Is it not better to take the opportunity to let that someone know exactly how you felt. (Remember: he has just insulted you). You may decide to help him out finally, but at least you know you are sincere with your help, having given your piece of mind. That too, would have been a good learning experience for him/her and also for you to feel good about yourself to know that you have not allowed him to just take advantage of your kindness, right?

Nurelhuda, what say you??

Mama Pongkey said...

:) Pycno you are too kind. I am definitely not as angelic as I seem. What I do not say in words I made clear with my expression. When she started rambling on I just looked straight in her eyes intently and that was when she started to stumble over her words. And when she started insulting my field, I just asked a series of questions to further probe what she meant by such remarks, and it turned out she knew nothing at all and was just repeating half-baked ideas she had heard somewhere. Hehehehe.

Here it is common practice for other researchers from other groups to come and ask for help, and it is common courtesy to provide that help. So here I am trying my best to be professional, ie, do my duty regardless of my feelings.

The 'kenakelayan' attitude came very useful, ie 'kena ke layan perangai orang immature ni?' After this it is really up to her. If she continues to behave unprofessionally or make unrealistic demands then I am well within my rights to refuse her. Nasib la! Hehehehe...

Maybe a bit of background info will help. Basically this girl is a Malaysian Chinese who came here on a scholarship from Singapore. So she thinks that I came here on a handout because of my race, and was being very insulting of that fact. When she went on and on, I basically said that I believe that if you are really good, then you will shine no matter where or what life throws at you. That was when she changed the topic and started insulting my field, but in the end tried soliciting help from me on technical issues. All this when I was trying to have a peaceful and quiet lunch. Hahaha.

I guess I have no patience with this sort of 'victim mentality'. Yes I have always felt since a child that the policies could be a bit more balanced, and alhamdulillah I can see that there are some steps being taken in the right direction. But I do agree a lot of people of my race need help. I think help should be given based on need, rather than race.

But to take out her grievances about the system out on me, that is plain unfair. In that she is just as bigoted as the very people who abuse the system in our country.

I think that as long as you stay within the victim mindset, you cannot move forward nor put the past behind.

Suriya said...

Kenakalayan
YOu sure are wise !