Thursday, May 28, 2009

Preventing Entropy of Mind and Heart

Kenyir lake
This is nothing to do with Kenyir but is a cultural show in Bukit Tinggi ( Sumatra).I was there two weeks ago
This is me in front of the cabin in Kenyir Resort about a couple of months ago. Observe the mp4 hanging around my neck. This was an entropy preventing trip of seeking beauty in nature and reflecting on my spiritual teachers words ( the mp4)
This is the cabin from outside
What has triggered this topic is a combination of human actions and reactions and my current project: A book on EQ.

This book has been good for me in more ways than one.
  • It has induced me into becoming aware of my emotions and how I interact with people
  • It has made me even more convinced to always try new things
  • It has made me more persistent in my efforts to balance my emotions , experience peace and joy in the depth of my being
  • Last but not least, remove from the environment the polluting effects of my own toxic emotions by not feeling them .
What has all this got to do with entropy?

On a discussion recently on the sufi studies list , while discussing about human behaviour Mushtaq mentioned the word entropy in the way things happen . Even when things start out as lofty ideals and best intentions , it kind of deteriorates over the years and naturally depraved human beings give in to their egos and lusts and desires.

This is getting complicated so I will just stop here with a few observations and suggestions

When was the last time you REACTED rather than RESPONDED?
What I mean by this is you jumped to conclusions, made judgment on a person who is communicating with you and became absolutely angry and out of control and then started to exchange insults?

If you tell me you did that in the past one week then my next question is ...

What have you been doing recently to stop brain and heart rot? I am not talking about some rare disease caused by germs or viruses but the all too human tendency not to do things that develop the brain and the heart.

What are these activities you want to know?

Here are some suggestions

  • Pray with full focus and and concentration
  • Contemplate on beauty - nature , poems , music etc..( What is that? These things don't move you ...aiyooo.....come see me to unsupress , I will give you a homeopathic remedy )
  • Learn a new skill
  • Read a book that is not essentially junky
  • Memorise a verse or saying or ayat that is soul food
  • Do something you have not done before
  • Reflect on your deeds without being defensive
  • Stop finding excuses for your shitty behavior
  • Hug a kitten or a tree if you do not have a kitten
  • play with young children ( tolerating them while feeling rotten does not count)
  • Did something positive for someone out of the sheer goodness of your heart ( force yourself to do this if you cannot find the goodness -hopefully it will have to surface -unless the rot is total! )
How will you know you have stopped the brain and heart rot ?
When you cannot remember when the last time you yelled in anger because of your intolerance and judgmental attitude and your heart does not easily contract in anger and tension and your mind is not constantly thinking of ways to entertain your jaded senses.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Salam N,

u reading or writing on EQ? Berapa star out of 5 u beri ke Kenyir? U dah slim sekarang!

Suriya said...

Salam Hasanah

I am writing a book on eq but it is a pretty slow process, am trying to write from my own experience while drawing from books already in the market and also incorporating some somatic healing and energy psychotherapy techniques. Writing in Bahasa Melayu is a damper for me !
I am exercising regularly now and watching my food so it helps with the weight !

Suriya said...

Ps
Tasik Kenyir ? I would give a 5 star for natural beauty and pollution free positive energy and only a 2 for the resort I stayed in because it is pretty run down !