Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Complete Human 2

Dr Roza asked:
What does it mean to be in touch with reality, within and without?
A short answer will be , to be present to the self from within , ie in touch with emotions understanding them , be in touch with thoughts understanding them , more than this , be in touch with the domain of the heart..the essential self within. And without? be present to the present moment , not only what is inside of one but what is going on outside , focus on the present moment. Savour its feel , open all the senses to the sounds the visuals the feel.Take it all in and be in it...
Life is in the Now.

And the journey to being the Complete Human starts with base camp. Our base camp is our Nafs Amara. It is the part of us that was made for us to survive. It is instincts and sensations all designed to make sure we act to preserve ourselves as we journey to completion . Many of us however get stuck here. And getting stuck here is like setting up base camp in order to climb Mount Everest and then because it is so comfortable and feels so good to be there , we decide to stay there and forget about the climb. Whoa , not such a good analogy for the likes of me because I m not one to test my physical endurance by climbing anything!But this is the analagy Pir Zia used.

Understanding the workings of the Nafs Amara goes a long way in helping us to understand how not to get stuck in it. And I think this is enough for today!

4 comments:

kevin said...

Ramadan Mubarak,

yes, it seems much easier staying where we "are",and yet, it really is not.

What is more work, carrying the load or surrendering it over to its Owner? I think we decieve ourselves sometimes, in believing that sticking with our lower nafs is actually easier. Maybe we just have to learn to stop for a moment and think, connect.

i look forward to following your hunt for Insan Kemal! Good luck! let him/her know I'm looking for him, too!

sume said...

I'm afraid of heights so that one doesn't work for me either. Or maybe it does since I definitely wouldn't leave camp out of personal fear. As a matter of fact, I'd probably never set up camp since there's no way I'd even consider climbing Mount Everest. lol I don't suppose you have another analogy on hand?

But point taken and thank you. ;)
It's difficult sometimes to find balance or harmony between what's within and without resulting in a chaotic feeling. At least it's that way for me, but I attribute that lack of focus.

dith said...

Yes, true. Most of the time, I just sail along. For example , my inner-self tells me that I have to wake up and pray at night. But when night time, and I'm in deep sleep, if I should be awoken, my whole body would just refuse to wake up!! So is that my inner self giving contradicitng instructions or is it just my outer self or my physical is too tired or plain lazy? So does striking a balance from within and without mean that your body obeys what your inner-self orders to?

Suriya said...

Dr Roza
What happens is that the part of us that wants to climb mount Everest wakes us up and the part that wants to stay in base camp prevents us!