Thursday, October 20, 2005

Zikr

Dr Roza was asking about zikr . I was doing some reading last night. I like to spend nights in Ramadan reading and trying to understand more of what I do not understand.
Mind you I am just a poor and lowly student of sufism and I am not being modest when I say this . I realise there is so much I do not understand nor know enough to expound but what I have experiential knowledge of , I willingly share.

Zikr literally means rememberance. This I have quoted below from Hazrat Inayat Khan my murshid perhaps needs a littel elaboration to help our understanding.I am quite good at simplyfying things and I think the reason is because my limited brain is simple .like when I want to explain medical stuff to laymen I use layman language and nobody is aware that I have actually forgotten a lot of the medical jargon and in my mind what I understand is what I explain to laymen!

So in brief what Hazrat Inayat Khan said is that what we hear from others , or see in writing for that matter has an effect on us, we process it in our brain and then it causes a reaction in our emotions. The reverse is also true, what we feel , we then process in our mind and express as words or speech. Simple isn t it? You do realise of course that we react differently and have different emotions over the same words spoken to us?I rememer seeing a very moving ceremony being performed from teacher to pupils where the teachers walked past the pupils and lit candles held by the puplis. I cried because I was so touched. The man beside me laughed and I asked him why. And he replied, because I was pleased with the ceremony..

Ooops I ve gone off on a different tangent..Next , HIK says, that which comes from within as inspiration , ilham comes involuntarily , ie we can t will it, we can t force it out..these mysterious things that spout out of us from deep within our beings, which is the secret of highly evolved humans...But when we use a wazifah ie a zikr ,usually of the 99 names or some verses from the Quran or prayers taught by the Prophet, then we do it voluntarily and it has an effect on the mind which then has an effect on the heart ..the heart mind you is the portal to all that is Divine.
So when we recite the wazifa, not out of pride but out of our need to be in contact with the divine then what is within the heart , that which is in contact with the Divine will manifest and impinge on our mind and we become aware of it and can act upon it.


Every spoken word is a re-echo of thought, and every thought is the re-echo of an emotion. And, as the activity from within manifests on the surface, so the word spoken takes its reverse process: it is reproduced on the mind, and from the mind it is reproduced on the heart, the factor of feeling. That which comes from within comes involuntarily, and what enters within from without enters voluntarily. Therefore, Wazifa is taught by Sufis as a voluntary production of a certain thing on the mind and in the heart, mind being powerful to produce that which is impressed upon it from within and without, and the heart being a still more powerful factor to produce that with which it is impressed from within and without.
Hazrat Inayat Khan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's this book i read...'Conversation with God, by Neale Donald Walsch'

God 'told' the author...
“Doing is a function of the body. Being is a function of the soul.
The body is always doing something. It’s either doing what’s its doing at the behest of the soul, or in spite of the soul. The quality of life hangs in the balance.
The soul is forever being. Its being what it is being, regardless of what the body is doing, not because what it’s doing.
If you think your life is about doingness, you do not understand what you are about.
Your soul doesn’t care what you do for a living…& when your life is over. Your soul cares only about what you are being while you’re doing whatever you are doing.
It is a state of beingness the soul is after, not a state of doingness.
The author asked GOD… “What is the soul seeking to be?”
“Me (GOD). Your soul is me & it knows it. What it’s doing is trying to experience that”

I like to know your opinion on this. - J -

Suriya said...

Well J,
There is a part of every body that is the breath of God.This is because God breathed into Adam and Adam came from no being into being. There is a hadith that says, Ina ma a'malu bi niat which means , Each deed is by its intention. Intention is a state of being. Hence one can be giving in charity , and the intention can be to show off or to be of help, one can be teaching and the intention can be to make a name or to educate and so on and so forth. Hence it is not what is done that matters but the energy behind the doing.Of course the soul is after aligning itself with God for God did create man in his image. There is another Hadith Qudsi that says:
My servant by his deeds gets closer and closer to me until his hands are my hands , his legs my legs and his tongue my tongue ..this is a rough recollection and may not be exact in the wording but the idea is there.
When I say soul I am referring to the nafs which starts out at its lowest level with nafs amara, and moves on to the accusing soul and then the states of the soul at peace

dith said...

As always, I have to take sometime to re read this sort of entry so I take time to comment.

What is meant by ilham or inspiration here? Is it a specific term refering to a certain situation or it is something general that can be good or bad?

I learned a new phrase: that the heart is a portal to all that is divine

Thanks

Suriya said...

Ilham is inspiration that comes via angels. If it was brought by Jibrail to the Prophet it would be wahyu but we are not prophets so we get a lesser version, a voice that calls to us from within and spurs us to do what we were sent on earth to do, ie to fulfill our life purpose